Gustavo,

I posted a link to my blog below.  I experienced this problem a couple
years ago when I first started with MaxBotix sonars.  The datasheet isn't
100% clear, but the serial signal is inverted.  That is what the person in
the RPi forum meant about the meaning of the 1s and 0s.  You cannot simply
flip the received data because the whole stream is inverted (to include
start bits, etc.).  You need to invert everything.  In my post you will
find a simple circuit made of 2 resistors and a transistor that will invert
the signal for you.  If you prefer, you can purchase a hex inverter to
accomplish the same thing.

I hope it helps you.  To save you from finding my other posts, here is the
link http://blog.lemoneerlabs.com/post/Hearing-aids