If the firmware update uSD is bootable, upon booting you should see all
four status LEDs blinking sporadically within 10-20 seconds, not just PWR.
So the first thing I'd worry about is that you used the proper steps to
create a valid bootable uSD image.  For me the OS update process takes
somewhere between 50-70 minutes.