had a similar experience, setting up the SD card from Windows. At first,
it failed, since Windows had put CR/LF into the text file. A bit of editing
with Hex Editor Neo removed the CR, then it worked fine as auxiliary
storage, even mounting it on the Windows desktop when the BBB was connected
via USB (GREAT!).

Then I used that same SD card to reflash the BBB (a process which obviously
destroys the partition table on the SD card).

After reflashing, I put the card back into the Windows machine, reformatted
it (twice, with intervening removal of the card, to get Windows to
recognize the full 32GB), and put the uEnv.txt file onto it.

Putting that into the BBB, the BBB would no longer boot properly.

Two days of fiddling later, and after buying another SD card to compare (it
worked fine, again), I discovered the broken SD card had no partition, and
I couldn't find a nice way to get Windows to create an MBR partition on an
SD card.

Booting BBB with HDMI/keyboard/mouse, but without the broken SD card, I
could then plug in the SD card, reformat it properly in Angstrom
(Applications -> System Tools -> Disk Utility, select that SD card, unmount
it, select Format Drive in the top left part of the screen, and request
MasterBootRecord format).

Problem solved. Whew - two days of time wasted!

Jim