Thanks Gerald,

I will have to confirm this by wiring up another LCD panel to the expansion
headers.  It's unfortunate to learn that there is a 16-bit color limitation
via HDMI output.  On the Raspberry Pi I can issue the "fbset -depth 24"
bash command and the HDMI output switches to 24-bit color depth.  When I
try that command on the BBB it returns with the error "ioctl
FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument".  Only 8 and 16 work as valid bit
depths with the BBB.