> I was wondering if it is possible to write a c/c++ code in vi through SSH
on Putty and then generate an output file and run directly on the
beaglebone?
I tried the simple helloworld.c program and it worked.

I have a network share set up, accessible by the beaglebone. I also have
the beaglebone set up as a network share, with samba. I edit my files in my
favorite modern editor, but compile and run from the network shares,
directly, on the beaglebone. Biggest benefit is, if I hose something on the
beaglebone or the flash/sd card dies or whatever, I just plug in a new
beaglebone, and and up and running after I cd to my development directory.

Don't develop on the beaglebone flash without some sort of constant
backup/source control. You will most likely break something at some point,
like with a "opkg upgrade" and it's hard to get stuff off the emmc.

> but its my first time in Embedded

Forget the embedded part, just think of it as a low end little Linux PC.
That's the whole point of Linux, it's nearly identical regardless of the
machine you're on. This one is no different than a supercomputer cluster,
except you have somewhat constrained resources ;) and some unusual, kick
butt, peripherals, like the PRUs.

g++, gcc, python, perl, and node.js (probably forgetting some) are already
installed. There are tens of thousands of tutorials on developing regular
Linux applications, which is all you'll be doing (maybe accessing some
interesting sysfs interfaces, but that's not unusual). With the kernel-dev
and kernel-headers packages, you can even compile kernel modules right on
the Beaglebone.

For opkg, you need the exact name. Use "opkg list" to find the package. You
can use wildcards to list packages, so "opkg list *gcc*".