On 11/15/2013 9:08 AM, Jesper We wrote:
> Yes it seems lots of people are in the same situation. OK, so despite all
> the halabaloo about Device Tree Overlays you still need to build a custom
> kernel to add a new cape at boot, is that so?
> I kind of thought the whole point was getting rid of that ;-)

You don't _have_ to recompile the kernel.

You can directly merge your overlay with the board device tree (in other
words, it is no longer an overly, it is just part of the native board
resources).  Just drop the new device tree file onto your system
wherever uboot is pulling it from (varies depending on the release
you're running) and your hardware will be recognized at the earliest
possible time (well, unless you start hacking on uboot).

As others pointed out, you can also get the kernel to load the files
from /lib/firmware, but this requires that /lib/firmware is already
mounted and the files are visible when the kernel is trying to find the
overlays.  Depending on your boot sequence and kernel settings, this may
or may not work.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net