But whether or not I get serial debug information on those headers, the
real question is if I'm really in the right place for configuring the cape,
or whether I'm just passing bootargs that configure how the
 armhf (and assorted other system chips) talks to the rest of the system
and/or the debug headers. If this wasn't the case, why would cape config
hang boot? And since 9600  baud is super common for coms with routers, it
seems like maybe I'm not really talking to the cape rs232 chips, which
basically would never ship without being able to handle/pass 9600 baud coms?

Assuming I can't get the cape working, is there a way to just use the debug
headers as a console and throw the cape away, just solder a 9-pin DSUB to
those headers? But I guess I'd still need 9600 baud.