I'm a beginner with the BeagleBone Black, but I have significant AVR and
C/Linux experience.

I want to use the BBB as an embedded controller, so I won't be using any
video output.
I will want to use:
- PWM outputs
- i2c bus
- analog inputs
- a 3.3V serial port for PPP
- few plain digital outputs, no fancy timing.
I would like to run a Java JRE (no flames please!)
I have a few questions:

  - What's the best Linux distribution to use, given that my main criterion
is support for the BBB's hardware resources?

  - I would like to measure the frequency on some digital inputs, which
will be in the range 0-1KHz. I think the best way to do that is via the
PRU, using the timer and some interrupts. Is that the best way, and are any
of the resources I list above dependent on the PRU (e.g. the PWM) or do
they all have dedicated hardware? (I realise that pins are shared -- I mean
the PRU and its peripherals) (I can also do this using an outboard AVR via
i2c, but if the BBB can do it why not...)

  - Are there any other implementations of the BBB hardware? -- for
instance I'd be interested in one with fewer connectors, the headers not
soldered in and/or a smaller form factor.

  - I'm booting off the eMMC. Does that mean that I can't use any of the
MMC1 pins?

  Thanks,
    Tom