On 12/4/13, 10:33 PM, "Satz Klauer" <satzkla...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>John,
>
>thanks for your detailled answer
>
>On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM, John Syne <jsyne...@us-power.com> wrote:
>>
>> BBB can boot from several sources, but I¹ll restrict this explanation
>>to the
>> internal eMMC and the SDCard. uBoot considers the SDCard to be MMC 0
>>and the
>> eMMC is considered MMC 1. Both devices are configured the same; namely a
>> small FAT partition which stores MLO (first stage loader)
>
>So the (let me call it) "internal MLO" is not stored on NAND-flash as
>mentioned before but on a FAT-partition of eMMC?
I¹m not sure I understand what you are saying, but there is no separate
NAND-Flash. There is only eMMC which you partition and format just like
any other block device. The MLO is stored on the FAT partition.

>Assumed my internal MLO got lost for some reason and I only can boot
>some own (bare-metal) applications from external SD-card, is there a
>way to access or restore that internal FAT-partition without using a
>full Linux-installation on my SD card? A OpenOCD JTAG debugger would
>be available...
If you don¹t have MLO on the eMMC, then you should press and hold the boot
button while applying power, which will read the MLO on the SDCard. To
restore the eMMC contents look at this page:

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:Updating_The_Software

Regards,
John