On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Robert Ianovich <rianovic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The question is why can't be accessed regularly from user space by reading
> /dev/i2c-0 bus?
> The I2C buses and devices can't be owned exclusively even by kernel due to
> I2C architecture, so as far as the bus is free, anyone should read/write to
> any address.
>
> I have worked on many industrial boards considerably bigger than BBB
> (WindRiver kernel) and all devices with I2C for maintenance (RapidIO, DSP,
> MAC/PHY, etc) are accessible.
>
> Why on BeagleBone the addresses of HDMI framer, PMIC and onboard EE are
> intentionally blocked by driver ?
> Or why the DRM driver is written that way?

Well the hdmi/edid is the easly one.. As the beaglebone dose not have
direct access to that bus, take look at page 10:

https://github.com/CircuitCo/BeagleBone-Black/blob/master/BBB_SCH.pdf

Thus we need to query the TDA19988 device thru drm for the edid...

As far as PMIC/EE are registered by the dts in i2c0:

tps: tps@24 {
reg = <0x24>; };

baseboard_eeprom: baseboard_eeprom@50 {
compatible = "at,24c256";
reg = <0x50>; };

Thus if that blocks access thru /dev/i2c-0, i guess it blocks it...

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/