Robert

Thank you so much for the reply. I was unaware that I could pull diagnostic
information from the BBB during boot from the serial port.

Indeed - I never noticed the serial port before either!

I believe I have a serial to USB adapter, so I'll try it when I get home.

One correction: my flashed BBB is not running Ubuntu 12.4, but 13.04. Not
that it makes a difference, but I figure for historical reasons I'd correct
it.

Thanks again for your help. I am sure dealing with newbies all the time
must be frustrating. I do know a lot of stuff, but am relatively new to
Linux, ARM, etc..

Brian