On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM,  <smith.winston....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, January 10, 2014 5:11:09 PM UTC-5, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>> It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
>> beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
>> something... ;)
>>

> Firstly, many thanks for your hard work here!
>
> Now that the move to debian is official, I'm scrambling to move my custom
> images over.  With Angstrom, I had a custom .bb file that was based on the
> ti-hw-bringup-image.bb script and added a few extra things.
>
> With the new scripts, I'm looking to do a number of things:
>
> 1) Omit some packages, such as Cloud9, Node and Xorg as I don't need them
> 2) Add some of my own packages
> 3) Build a custom kernel (to include a .dts)
> 4) Customize the resulting rootfs (e.g. add users, systemd service scripts
> etc)
> 5) Ultimately, automate this
>
> Initially, I could just clone the script and edit the lines that set
> bborg_pkg_list to omit what I don't want (#1) and include what I do #2.  I
> could add a further function to modify the root filesystem before it gets
> zipped up (although I'm not sure how I create new users etc ...).
>
> Is there some way of being able to extend the script in this manner without
> having to change it so that it doesn't get clobbered when updating?

The easiest thing to do, is first just fork the repo, then:

cp beagleboard.org_image.sh custom_image.sh

Then edit the "chroot_script" line, so you can run your own chroot
customization script..

For example we are calling: ( chroot_script="beagleboard.org.sh" )
https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/beagleboard.org_image.sh#L342

dump your script here:
https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/tree/master/chroot_script

The main chroot script does set some sane defaults,

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/scripts/chroot.sh#L289

Just ping us if something is enabled by default that you need off..

Doing that other then just do a git pull everyonce in awhile to get updates..

git pull --no-edit git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git master

If your project gets big, i have issues with adding it to the
readme.md list like I did with MachineKit then i just randomly pull
from those tree when they have updates..

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/