> Success... finally. :-)

That's good..

> It took a while to figure out ship.sh was using the setup_sdcard.sh inside
> the image file. I had pulled the new version into the image_builder dir, but
> I didn't rerun the entire build. I was just rerunning the ship.sh script.
> After editing the setup_sdcard.sh in the image it worked.

Yeah, it's just years of bolt-on's.. I originally wrote
setup_sdcard.sh to automate the task of installing the output of
"project-rootstock".  Then i needed to manage what options we called
"project-rootstock" with. Eventually re-writing 'project-rootstock'..
Then finally adding the ship.sh file as i couldn't remember what i
shipped the month before.

It was much easier when i just pushed out:
"debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-16.tar.xz" and made everyone run
"setup_sdcard.sh"...

>> What i'd really like to see is a script that can be run on target to
>> automatically re-size it, even on bootup...
>>
>> Because, if your already running linux, instead of resizing the *.img
>> for your microSD, you can just already call "--mmc /dev/sdX" with
>> setup_sdcard.sh and it'll auto partition your microSD using all the
>> available space.
>>
>> Of course the "--img" option allows you to easily share a completed
>> image that doesn't need network access to pull in the extra bits
>> setup_sdcard.sh..
>

> I was thinking more along the lines of always building a standard image the
> exact size needed for the BBB eMMC (i.e. 2 GB) since they are all the same
> size. Then using a minimal system and a compressed copy of this standard
> image to build the eMMC_flasher image which I think would also fit into 2
> GB. The same compressed standard image could be distributed for use with a
> small script that would expand the image onto an SD card of any larger size
> (i.e. 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, etc) and then expand the partition and filesystem
> to match the size of the SD card.

If you consider "armhf-rootfs-debian-wheezy.tar" to be the "minimal
system" you've just described what "setup_sdcard.sh --mmc /dev/sdX"
does already..  But i'm not going to stop you from writing a script to
dump the *.img and then expanding it..

> I noticed that the ship.sh script seems to build each image from scratch
> rather than basing one image on the other (i.e. it calls setup_sdcard.sh
> once for each image). The only thing I saw that is done for the eMMC_flasher
> image is the creation of a file called flash-eMMC.txt. It wasn't obvious to
> me how that file is used. I assume the startup code looks for that file and
> runs the flashing commands if it's found as the system boots the flasher
> image.
>
> Are there other differences between a normal image (say the 4GB image) and a
> eMMC_flasher image as they are currently being built?

I've limited the flasher to 2GB in size.. No sense in flashing more then 2GB's..

The extra flash file triggers this call in the board init script:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L76

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/