The TI SDK is built on top of the Arago distro which is kind of based on
Angstrom. Its also Open Embeded / Yacto compatible like the Angstrom
distribution. So far I've had little luck finding a good tutorial for building
for the BBB. I've succeeded so far in only being able to install it and make an
 sd card image. However, I can't figure out how to install custom packages or
get cape support. If you find a good resource or would like to calaborate
please let me know. Specifically,  I'm working on an opensource handheld that
uses ipython notebook to allow users to quickly write and edit test code for
their projects. The goal is to create a graphing calculator / tablet for makers
and hardware hackers. At the top of my todo list is writing a tutorial for
getting the TI SDK running with the matrix gui.