Hi,
yesterday I was finally able to get it working!
I think that "agni..." is having the same error: when executing the "echo"
of eqep in slots I get the same "invalid argument" error.
I get the additional details executing a dmesg command.

Investigating on device tree, I found that form some reason the
installation script didn't installed the DTB files on the SD.
>From what I understood:
1. the patch should add the EQEP tree items in
"linux-dev/KERNEL/arch/arm/boot/dts/am33xx.dtsi" (you can verify searching
for "eqep" in it)
2. The "./tools/rebuild.sh" should build the DTB files and create an
updated tar.gz file in "linux-dev/deploy" with the new version of the
device tree
3. Then the "./tools/install_kernel.sh" should install the kernel and copy
the new DTB to the correct destination folder

Suspecting to have outdated DTB, I deleted the
"linux-dev/KERNEL/arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-*.dtb" and re-executed the point
2. This re-created the DTB files. Then I manually copied them to the SD, in
the "/boot" partition (and a subfolder that I don't remember in this
moment, but you can find easily since it contains the same files).
This fixed my issue!!! Sincerly I suspect that my version of
"./tools/install_kernel.sh" is newer than the one shown in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9nUqYMjqs . But I don't know if this is a
real bug or it is caused by my configuration.

To get the encoder to work I also had to disable HDMI and HDMIN, as
explained in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard/aU__9RGq3xU
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Lo