On 1/23/2014 9:12 AM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> But i'd really like someone to write a script to automate the resize
> on bootup from the bbb.. ;)  We have the initrd.img, so it could be
> done before the root partition is first loaded..

I'm not sure you'd want to put everything required to resize the root
partition into the initrd.

What about something similar to /forcefsck where an init script runs and
checks for the presence of /resizerootfs or somesuch and then makes the
various required checks (that there is actually space available, the
filesystem is clean, the filesystem is a type that can be extende3d, etc).

Can any simplifying assumptions be made about things like the root
device, partition layout, etc?

It would be nice if you could just have a 2G raw image (saves time
writing) and expand the filesystem on the first boot.  How long does it
take to expand an ext4 filesystem, anyway?  I use jfs on my x86 boxes
because you can expand the fs live while it's mounted (very handy for
virtual machines and systems with SAN back-ends, where I'm always
growing the storage!).  Last I checked, resizing ext3 was a royal PITA
by comparison...I hope this is improved with ext4.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net