On 1/22/14, 4:38 PM, "Robert Nelson" <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The *.dtbo's already compiled under /lib/firmware should work via the
>uEnv.txt *_enable call..
>The kernel .config, build firmware in kernel is enabled.
>We are using an initrd. (helps hide the lack of rtc problem for rootfs
>and allows us to us uuid's for the eMMC, aka allowing single/multi mmc
>card combinations..)
>
>So, any modifications to any of the existing /lib/firmware/*.dtbo file
>will be ignored, as the kernel has it built-in.
>
>Any additions to /lib/firmware/*.dtbo are ignored as they are too late
>on boot (uEnv.txt *_enable call) and are not in the initrd.
Hi Robert,

Doesn¹t this defeat the original purpose of DeviceTree? The idea that one
could change the I/O configuration without having to rebuild the kernel.
Also, I think this whole cape manager concept needs to be revisited. Since
it isn¹t possible to hot plug capes, why enable users to install and
remove dtbo files from the command line. I think all dtbo files should be
configured from the uEnv file and not built into the kernel. We can still
install and remove kernel modules from the command line, so development
won¹t be affected.

Regards,
John