On 1/26/2014 9:44 AM, Bas Laarhoven wrote:
> On 26-1-2014 16:04, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
>> On 1/26/2014 8:41 AM, Bas Laarhoven wrote:
>>>
>>> Great! It looks so obvious, this makes me wonder why it wasn't
>>> implemented the first time...!
>> Yes, but it's so simple I fear I'm missing something.  There are
>
> That's what I meant to say. But since modern programmers do not write
> comments, we'll always keep wondering whether it was a design decision
> or an oversight. :-/

Yep!  <sigh>

>> definitely times when you might not want an I/O pin to change direction,
>> and other times (like my use) where it's OK.
>>
>> I think maybe I should add a new property to allow the direction to be
>> changed, so DT stubs would look something like:
>>
>> x_min {
>>      gpio-name = "bebopr:x_min";
>>      gpio = <&gpio3 3 0>;
>>      input;
>>      dir-changeable;
>> };
>
> I have limited knowledge of what you're trying to do, but you probably
> never want to make gpio3 an output on a BeBoPr because that creates two
> outputs fighting the signal!

That's why I added the flag, so it can be left off of I/O pins that
really shouldn't be able to change direction.  It still wound up being a
simple 2-line patch.  I've tested the change works as expected and have
pushed the patch to my linux-dev github repo:

https://github.com/cdsteinkuehler/linux-dev/blob/3.8.13-bone37-xenomai/patches/machinekit/0003-Add-dir-changeable-property-to-gpio-of-helper.patch

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net