Earlier when I was using Angstrom, I ended up having to download and build
Espeak, but when I converted to the Debian versions, I could install it as
you mentioned.

However the PCM I believe is always defaulting to output to the HDMI
sound.  To get it to work with a USB sound card I plugged in, I found I
needed to edit a sound configuration file: Here is what I have:

kurt@BeagleBone:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default sysdefault:Device