Concerning the serial ports, from my ever notes:

# UART0 is up already and available on the debug header.

# UART1 is already setup correctly but here it is anyway:

echo 20 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/uart1_rxd   # (P9 26 UART1_RXD)
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/uart1_txd    # (P9 24 UART1Â_TXD)

# UART2 needs this or it won’t work. Makes sense.

echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/spi0_d0      # (P9 22 UART2_RXD)
echo 21 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/spi0_sclk   # (P9 21 UART2_TXD)

It seems the hardware on my Chipsee 7” LCD/Touchscreen for the BBB is
broken. I tested the serial using a loop-back wire on the P9 header on the
BBB (pins 26,24 for UART1 and pins 22, 21 for UART2) and it works
perfectly. Plug the cape in and do the same thing on the green header with
the PC level RS232 and it doesn’t.  So it must be the cape. :(

UPDATE:

The DB9 connector works perfectly for UART1 but the green connector
doesn’t.
The green connector works perfectly for UART2 (provided you’ve muxed the
pins like above)

NOTE: Getting UART2 working remuxes some pins from the SPI to the UART.  I
checked that this doesn’t effect the MMC or the touchscreen. It doesn’t.
All good. Couldn’t check if the eMMC is affected since this EZSDK kernel
i’m using doesn’t