I am trying to either get an executable or shell script to run on boot up
of my beaglebone black.  I have tried a couple methods, however I am seeing
a lot of people using the service method.  These are the steps I took in
creating my service file. What did I do wrong? Are there other people
having similar problems at boot up? Thanks in advance

Running a script on Beaglebone Black boot/ startup
1. Compile the required code.

2. Create a bash script that will launch the code at boot/ startup
cd /usr/bin/
Type nano <scriptname.sh>
#!/bin/bash
/home/root/<name_of_compiled_code>

Save and grant execute permission
chmod u+x /usr/bin/<scriptname>.sh
3. Create the service
 nano /lib/systemd/<scriptname>.service
4. Edit the above file as necessary to invoke the different functionalities
like network. Enable these only if the code needs

that particular service. Disable unwanted ones to decrease boot time.
[Unit]
Description=<description of code>
After=syslog.target network.target
[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/<scriptname>.sh
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
 5.  Create a symbolic link to let the device know the location of the
service.
cd /etc/systemd/system/
ln /lib/systemd/<scriptname>.service <scriptname>.service

6. Make systemd reload the configuration file, start the service
immediately (helps to see if the service is functioning

properly) and enable the unit files specified in the command line.

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl start <scriptname>.service
systemctl enable <scriptname>.service

7. Restart BBB immediately to see if it runs as intended.
shutdown -r now