Hi again Azzy.  Here is a tutorial on the BBB with starterware & a jtag
cable.
http://anthonymerlino.us/uncategorized/getting-started-with-beaglebone-black-bbb-and-starterware
It looks thorough.  Need to buy jtag first.  It should not be difficult
getting around the starterware code.
And one can rip their drivers!

Also, on this forum under thread
Confused about developing bare-metal applications for BBB
Frank Hunleth gives instructions at 7/22/13 and 7/23/13 on how to hack
u-boot.

So, it looks like we have our work cut out for us!