I have a BBB v6 running 12.04 ubuntu headless. I am trying to set a static
ip. I have a few questions?

Here is my /etc/network/interface

# Wired or wireless interfaces

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

       address 192.168.0.40

       network 192.168.0.0

       netmask 255.255.255.0

       gateway 192.168.0.1

       broadcast 192.168.0.255
       dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1 205.171.2.25 < this is what I dont
understand?

I also uninstalled the dhcp client.

because unbuntu 12. you cant modify the /ect/resolv.conf (because it will
be over written on the next reboot) I have to add nameserver or
dns-nameserver to the /etc/network/interfaces.

I have century link, and whatever router they gave me. I have never changed
anything on the router.. or I shoudl say this is its default state(i didnt
even know its admin passwork till yesterday). the routers ip is also my
gateway for the rest of the network, this is correct. when log into the
router and look up its DNS ip's.. i see the router's ip address 192.168.0.1
primary and the other address as the #2. what I dont quite get it is..no
one on the network has toruble connecting to anything or surfing the web. I
have other linux machines on the network(running dhcp) and when I look in
their resolv.conf, I see the same thing, my router's ip and century links
DNS or nameserver ip. I dont know which to be honest, nameserver or DNS. so
when dhcp.client runs at start up an aquires the ip's for the resolv.conf
it gets my network gateway and a nameserver/dns..i think thats odd. isnt it?

right now on the BBB, when I do a ifconfig: can see the ip address,
netmask, bcast are getting the correct ip information, but I cant ping the
BBB nor can it ping.

1 shoudl I be using dns-nameserver rather than nameserver in my interfaces
file?

2 why is my router's ip address in the primary DNS position on my router?

3 could my router be stoping my BBB because its asking or demanding a
static ip?

4 is there a / that I should be adding to one of these address i.e.
192.168.0.0/24?

5 does the time not being set or being set to the wrong year on the BBB
have anything to do with not being able to ping or ssh? seems like ping
should not be that strict.. but I was just trying to debug

6 what entries in the interface file do I actually need for static ip?

there are lots and lots of people out there with a static ip howto's. I
have read dozens and not found anything to solve this.

thanks in advance.