Dave,
Gerald,

>From my experience with product fulfillment: a good plan would establish a
target date when the product would be broadly available in the market with
only occasional shortages.   A key to this is to show back orders as a % of
weekly production, and whether back orders are reducing or increasing as we
fulfill back orders and receive new orders each week.  There would be a
weekly review of whether the target date is likely to be met, production
plan and any changes, and a new date, if needed.  Sudden orders and other
unexpected situations are common in all kinds of fulfillment situations and
there are lots of good systems to deal with this.

I am happy to volunteer to do weekly analytics.

elinux.org only shows monthly shipments, with little clue around demand and
back order situation.  It is nice to know that "circuitco is in full
production" but we need to provide lots more facts.

Dr. Anil Gupta