OK I'm still somewhat new to using the I/O interfaces on the
BeagleboneBlack. I'm currently interested  in utilizing the 3.13 Kernel. I
realize that there is no capemgr  for the newer kernel.

   - Is there a capmgr in the works for 3.13 ?
   - I've taken a brief look at Roberts really simple cape manager
   https://github.com/RobertCNelson/rscm and it looks very promising. It seems
   to currently be usable with I2C/SPI/UARTs. Is this something that is being
   actively worked on. Will there be a sample patches for GPIO (perhaps only
   one or two example pins) , PWM and ADC  added in the future?
   - Also I've looked at the solution of including device tree overlays in
   the uEnv.txt file. Is it possible to include more than one .dtbo file in
   the uEnv.txt file? If so I'd appreciate it if someone can show me an
   example of the syntax.

   - If I have a GPIO configured with its receiver enabled (bit 5 set to 1)
   can the pin still be used as an output (output/input) pin or just an input
   pin ? In some cases, say when interfacing to a HD44780 LCD you need to have
   a bidirectional data bus...trying to do this from the user space will be
   impossible if pinmux can't be accessed from user space. I tried looking at
   the TRM for the AM335x but couldn't quite zone in on this info.
   - Finally if I reserve say two GPIO pins for use with a UART in the
   device tree. Can I still access these pins as gpio via sysfs if the UART is
   not being used (i.e. open () system call has not been called on
   (/dev/tty???)). Or is it simply not usable as GPIO whatsoever ?

Thanks!
Hussam