Hello all, I thought I'd share my u-boot struggles I had tonight with you.
Maybe you can shed some light on what went wrong, and what went right.

So before we start, you need to know that I love Arch linux, btrfs, and
snapper. the snapper utility itself would be great for the experimentation
I do on the BBB because it allows easy snapshots and rollbacks of the file
system.

So anyway.  I decided I wanted to get my device going with arch and btrfs.
So I dig around and realize that uboot doesn't support btrfs yet; however
there seems to be a rogue uboot git repo which claims to have btrfs up and
going (https://github.com/falstaff84/u-boot).  So I download this repo,
compile and put it on my SD card.

Yet, every time I bootup my device, even when holding the boot button, I
notice that the timestamp for uboot is not the same as what I compiled.  So
I get smart, and cp the MLO and u-boot.img from my SD card to the eMMC.
After this, I notice the timestamp for the uboot is todays date.  Great...
Except this uboot doesn't boot my kernels.

I reformat my SD card to the BBBArch default, but still, the eMMC uboot is
being used, and I cant load my kernels.  Even when holding down the boot
buttons.

So in a desparate attempt to save myself, I grab RCNs eMMC flasher image (

https://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.4-2014-02-16-2gb.img.xz).
  Throw it on the SD card and pray.

Prayers are answered, as the device immediately boots from the SD card's uboot
rather than the MMC.

Anyways.  Here is the error I was getting.  Any ideas why RCNs image used the
SD for uboot, but the BBBArch image didn't?

U-Boot SPL 2013.07-rc1-g13e4350 (Feb 24 2014 - 20:35:37)
musb-hdrc: ConfigData=0xde (UTMI-8, dyn FIFOs, HB-ISO Rx, HB-ISO Tx,
SoftConn)
musb-hdrc: MHDRC RTL version 2.0
musb-hdrc: setup fifo_mode 4
musb-hdrc: 28/31 max ep, 16384/16384 memory
USB Peripheral mode controller at 47401000 using PIO, IRQ 0
musb-hdrc: ConfigData=0xde (UTMI-8, dyn FIFOs, HB-ISO Rx, HB-ISO Tx,
SoftConn)
musb-hdrc: MHDRC RTL version 2.0
musb-hdrc: setup fifo_mode 4
musb-hdrc: 28/31 max ep, 16384/16384 memory
USB Host mode controller at 47401800 using PIO, IRQ 0
OMAP SD/MMC: 0
mmc_send_cmd : timeout: No status update
reading args
spl: error reading image args, err - -1
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2013.07-rc1-g13e4350 (Feb 24 2014 - 20:35:37)

I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
NAND:  0 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1
*** Warning - readenv() failed, using default environment

musb-hdrc: ConfigData=0xde (UTMI-8, dyn FIFOs, HB-ISO Rx, HB-ISO Tx,
SoftConn)
musb-hdrc: MHDRC RTL version 2.0
musb-hdrc: setup fifo_mode 4
musb-hdrc: 28/31 max ep, 16384/16384 memory
USB Peripheral mode controller at 47401000 using PIO, IRQ 0
musb-hdrc: ConfigData=0xde (UTMI-8, dyn FIFOs, HB-ISO Rx, HB-ISO Tx,
SoftConn)
musb-hdrc: MHDRC RTL version 2.0
musb-hdrc: setup fifo_mode 4
musb-hdrc: 28/31 max ep, 16384/16384 memory
USB Host mode controller at 47401800 using PIO, IRQ 0
Net:   <ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC
cpsw, usb_ether
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 1
syntax error
mmc0 is current device
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1
SD/MMC found on device 0
reading uEnv.txt
681 bytes read in 4 ms (166 KiB/s)
Importing environment from mmc ...
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 1
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 1
Running uenvcmd ...
mmc0 is current device
3309688 bytes read in 562 ms (5.6 MiB/s)
24884 bytes read in 43 ms (564.5 KiB/s)
Booting from mmc ...
ERROR: booting os 'Invalid OS' (0) is not supported