Are you connected to a network?  How large is your microSD card?  It can
take a while to boot Ubuntu the first time.  I would definitely use
Nelson's images for this.  My penetration testing distro, The Deck, runs on
the BBxM and BBB without any issues and it is based on Nelson's Ubuntu
13.04 images.