I'm starting to piece together that it was likely some kind of major ground
potential difference issue.  He hooked up the light dimmers without a
ground because the dimmers don't provide a specific ground line next to the
dimmer line, and the dimmers are powered off of some power supply running
from 277VAC, and my board is powered off a 120->24VAC isolated transformer
where one leg is the local digital ground, and without referencing them
together somehow I imagine he put some really ugly potentials on the IO
pins.