On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Dorian Levy <dorianal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If setting /sys/class/gpio/gpioxx/edge creates an interrupt in the
> /proc/interrupts file, why is there no event file associated with it? What
> is the best way to use a gpio pin to count the number of times a switch is
> toggled? I really need to do it on two separate pins in order to ensure two
> motors are spinning at the same rate.

There are counters on the eQEP blocks that can do the counting for you. (
https://github.com/Teknoman117/beaglebot/tree/master/encoders)

https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_use_GPIO_signals has a
nice discussion on sysfs GPIO interrupts, which I believe you accurately
point out don't have associated event files.

If you want to generate real events, use the gpio-keys driver instead. With
device tree overlays, it should be simple enough to load the gpio-keys
driver.

Device tree bindings:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/gpio/gpio_keys.txt
Nice overall post: