I've tried on Linix and Windows going over the USB with PUTTY.  THe BBB
disconnects right off.  Is there a setup step I've missed?  I've looked at
3 tutorials on this and all just say to SSH to 192.168.7.2 port 22 but none
give any direction if that does not work.  I've Googled this and found not
too much as well.

The board shows up as a storage device on both machines on Crome browser.
 I can see the files on the flash as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.  My cables will be in soon for HDMI to DVI
but I wanted to get started.
Ronny