Along with what the others have described, since you're the arm processor
gpio rather than a pru gpio, meaning you're going all the way out to system
memory, you have to connect the pru to system memory. Here's an example of
accessing system memory with the pru:

http://nomel.tumblr.com/post/30006622413/beaglebone-tutorial-accessing-main-memory-from-the-pru

To set the pin mux for arm gpio, you can use one of these gpio overlays.
Just follow the instructions:

https://github.com/nomel/beaglebone/tree/master/gpio-header

Also, there are a few pru debuggers out there now so you can view/step pru
execution.

-Brandon