> On 3/17/2014 10:01 AM, Gerald Coley wrote:
>> This is a great point. I am not sure if we want to drop the PRU support,
>> but that is definitely an option I suppose. For those doing your
>> own products and do not need PRU it is a definite option to consider. There
>> is no difference in the board design to support this version of the
>> processor.
>
> If you drop the PRU, the BeagleBoard becomes close to useless for motion
> control, breaking LinuxCNC I'm working on, as well as the software being
> done by Elias (for Replicape) and Bas (for the BeBoPr).
>
> The PRU is the single largest differentiating factor of the BeagleBone
> over the assorted other ARM boards available.

Well, it's clear that it depends on your final application. For me, as
an example, that factor is the embedded MMC, because we don't need the
SD card, which is a very common error source. I don't need PRU at all
but I want the MMC. I also don't care about the video output because
I'm using at as remote data logger.