I am still not sure why anyone would need / want all this complexity.

Living offgrid, powered by solar panels which charge a battery bank, which
then powers our home via an Inverter . . .  I am not sure why the same
concept can not be used on the BBB.

1) Power the BBB via a small rechargeable ~5V power source.
2) charge this ~5V power source via AC mains, solar power, whatever.
3) Monitor power on the charge input, and when absent send a message to the
kernel to shutdown / hybernate.

Then, all you need is to make sure your power source can work a few minutes
with no input power applied. Perhaps even double this value for "safety".

The way I see things, there is nothing to complex about all this at all.