On Debian, what I did was make an init script to add a route to out
gateway/router, and then called ntpdate in the same script right after.
With Debian, you can order when these scripts ( services ) are run so they
can be run during whichever time you prefer during the boot up process. In
my own case, I just ran the script/service at the end of the bootup process.

With all that said, Debian uses a different ( default ) system-v type init
daemon than Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses Upstart, which as I understand is similar
but different. I have done enough reading to realize that using Upstart on
Ubuntu could be made to do the same thing, but I have no practical hands on
personally

Anyway, this is just one way I have figured out to do this one thing. While
most definitely it is not the only way, and possibly not even optimal. But
it worked for me..