On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Doug <d...@crompton.com> wrote:
> I just ordered my first Black today. I have been using RPi's for awhile but
> due to the lousy USB interface I wanted to try the Black. Anyhow I have a
> few questions.
>
> I plan to run Debian and I see I have the option of running it in microSD or
> the internal EMMC.
>
> I am not clear on the advantage/disadvantage of one vs. the other.

uSD is swappable and typically larger
eMMC is faster and more reliable over time

> I know I
> want to be able to boot at power up without pushing buttons so I suspect the
> EMMC image is the best choice.

You can boot from uSD without pushing a button on power cycle. The
button press is only needed when "unbricking" the on-board eMMC.

> When an OS is flashed to EMMC the data
> (writable) area is Where? In RAM or MicroSD?

Things could have been done to run more out of RAM, but it isn't the
case. Many things write back to the eMMC.

> I want to customize the OS and add my own code is this done on the microSD
> image and then flashed?

The eMMC works just like uSD. You write to it using the file system as
you run. I highly suggest managing your code using 'git'.

> I am not clear on how this works. Of course on the RPi the SD card is the OS
> and and changes you make are stored there. Maybe there is a document that
> explains this?

Not much to explain. eMMC is just SD soldered down to the board. You
can access both when running off of either.