David, yes absolutely You can build applications natively on the BBB using
a native compiler (ygcc compiler on the BBB not a cross compiler...) and a
native set of the QT4 libraries. Expect slightly slower build times though.
Also running QtCreator natively on the BBB might be a bit laggy....but
usable. I typically build the applications from the command line. This
approach uses a pre-built armhf version of QT4 from the debian repos. It is
not as flexible as a custom QT library build and requires Xorg/server but
it works.