There are a few ways to alleviate the congestion.

1 - remove unwanted packages  The X windows stuff takes up a lot of space
for example.
2 - move various dirs to a USB drive or SD card.  /opt and /var are two
good candidates.  /usr could be done but that requires some
experimentation.  If certain libraries are not available at boot time, your
could have problems.
3  - create a new filesystem on a SD card and use that for your personal
stuff.  What I did was to create a new filesystem on a SD card and mounted
it as /home.  Now I have gobs of space for my stuff.   In retrospect, I
should have done #2 and #3.

Richard