well first, I am not a network guru, however I think that. . .

nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf would be 192.168.1.1 ( assuming by modem,
its a DSL/cable modem + router)
gateway in /etc/network/interfaces would be your host computers ip
Then, you BBxM would be any IP in the same range as your host computer.
192.168.1.4 would work fine as long as there was nothing else on the
network with this IP already.

Anyhow, sounds like you've solved your issue already, but you did have some
funky settings anyhow. SO they already needed fixing.