Hi there,

I am testing the performance of the beaglebone in combination with the
no-OS Starterware from TexasInstruments and with the Linux Distribution
Angström.

My test program, which I wrote for both for Starterware and Linux, does the
following: I configure GPIO_1_28 as an output pin and in an endless loop I
do...
1. set the pin HIGH
2. for(i=0; i<35000; i++)
   { x = sqrt(3.141592654); }
3. set the pin LOW
4. for(i=0; i<35000; i++)
   { x = sqrt(3.141592654); }

Then I used  an oscilloscope top measure the period time / frequency of the
output. My first results:

using Linux, the period is              T = 1,1 ms  (with a Jitter of about
70 us)
using Starterware, the period is     T = 18 s !!!!

Wondering why Starterware is so amazing slow, I started googling and found
the following post in a TI forum:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/starterware/f/790/t/208033.aspx
The guys on that forum manged to speed up Starterware by enabling Cache and
MMU like in the example \\StarterWare\examples\evmskAM335x\uart\uartEcho.c
So I also integrated the functions MMUConfigEnable() and
CacheEnable(CACHE_ALL) into my program. It kind of worked, my new results
for Starterware:

T = 500 ms

But still !!! 500 times slower than on Linux.

Did anyone make similar experiences or do you have a clue what could be
wrong with Starterware? In the past i only did programming on simple
Microcontrollers, so I don't really know how to handle all this cache and
MMU stuff.