I was also driven crazy by the issue initially, but after fixing it I
have seen zero issues relating to the boot sequence getting stuck.

The problem my solution refers to is noise on the uart causing u-boot
to enter its terminal. Like when you boot up a PC and press F12 (or
some other key) to enter the bios menu, u-boot looks for any input on
the uart to break out of the boot sequence and enter the 'u-boot
menu'.

The fix involves two steps. Firstly, u-boot can be recompiled to look
for a specific character sequence (instead of any input) before
entering the u-boot terminal. The files Guillermo linked to are for
this effect. This solves the problem of random noise causing the boot
sequence to stop at u-boot, unless some miracle the random noise
spells out your specific character sequence, which I for one am happy
to allow for as a possible corner case.

Secondly, the boot sequence of the processor looks at the eMMC first
for an MLO file to boot with. So by deleting the MLO file on the eMMC
you stop the processor trying to boot from there. By simply copying
the same boot files to the eMMC you'll also solve the problem, I just
thought it better to have nothing there.

Regards,
Andrew.