On Friday, May 9, 2014 5:31:35 PM UTC-5, William Hermans wrote:

> Someone who may want to use only one connection and is already powering
> via USB.  Something such as a classroom environment could be a perfect
> example of why to use RNDIS. In this case, you use fewer Ethernet
> connections, which could save on costs, and clutter.
>
> To be sure there are many other possible use cases, use your imagination.

Ah, OK. Since my systems already have working ethernet the idea of
installing another driver didn't make sense to me, especially since the BBB
is going to live on the ethernet not be connected to USB. The real question
is whether the RNDIS driver provided something that Ethernet/IP didn't. It
sounds like you are saying that it doesn't. Good. I can dispense with
installing the RNDIS driver on my Mac(s).

> Personally, I have had nothing but terrible experiences with RNDIS, but it
> is not exactly something I am familiar with. I expect when I get around to
> do some serious reading on the subject, many or all of these issues would
> go away.

Like I said, unless RNDIS provides necessary services not available over an
Ethernet network connection, I won't be using RNDIS.

Thank you for you reply.