Robert held true to his word: The 2014-5-14 debian image includes the
tieqep driver and works correctly when teknoman's device tree overlays (or
my own) are loaded. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

I am still not sure why the mmap code I attached above only works with that
driver, but I suppose I will never find out since it works out of the box
on the 2014-5-14 debian image.

Thank you everyone for your help!