It will not protect against reverse polarity.A full
wave rectifier will cause a voltage drop and then you o longer have 5V. Yes
I could have added some reverse protection, but I must admit out of 200,00
boards shipped I  have sen about 10 cases of reverse polarity. So adding he
cost to all boards for that feature does not make a lot of sense. I removed
the NCP349 on the BBB..Out of the 150,000 of those shipped, I think we
maybe had 3 cases of reverse polarity.

Gerald