There we are.  I got it working using C24.  That's incredibly confusing.
 What's config pin's deal here:

debian@beaglebone:~/Desktop/riot_bin$ sudo config-pin -q P8.15
P8_15 Mode: pruin
debian@beaglebone:~/Desktop/riot_bin$ sudo config-pin -q P8.45
Pin is not modifyable: P8_45 lcd_data0
debian@beaglebone:~/Desktop/riot_bin$ sudo config-pin -q P8.20
cape-univ-emmc overlay not found
run "config-pin overlay cape-univ-emmc" to load the cape
debian@beaglebone:~/Desktop/riot_bin$ config-pin overlay cape-univ-emmc
bash: line 0: echo: write error: File exists
Error loading device tree overlay file: cape-univ-emmc

I mean the muxing on P8.15 works splendedly but then P8.20 is inaccessible.
 Also most of the pins on PRU1 are covered up by lcd pins which will
quickly become unacceptable in my project.