I installed x11vnc and ssvnc for remote desktop and noticed that gnuplot
invoked from a terminal opened via ssh gives the above error while that
invoked from a terminal opened via 'Applications > System Tools > Terminal'
(remote desktop) doesn't have this problem.

What could be the reason behind this?