Irelandathome, I have personally installed Node.js from scratch and have
had it working. On Debian before it was technically "supported" As said
above, Bonescript runs on top ( along side ? Jason would know the best ) of
Node.js.

There is only one hurdle when compiling from source. You need to tweak the
build script to build for the given processor type. Also, it seems many of
the javascript developers for Node.js modules are oblivious to the concept
of multi ARCH software. So, it may be wise if you're going to experiment on
your own, that you backup your file system between each module install. At
least this was the easiest way for me to keep a pristine ( clean ) file
system.

All the major module like Express as far as I can tell seems to work fine
though. I did have a problem with one of the older package managers
initially while I was figuring things out. NPM worked fine last I looked
though. Also, you may not be able to use the latest version, but personally
I got very close( about a month back from latest ).

I have a command line log of the steps I took to achieve this if it's of
any interest.