Hi!

I currently have an Arduino Mega 2560, and have pre-ordered one of the new
BBB rev C's. The Arduino collects data from environmental sensors placed
around our house, and among other functions, is set up to dump the data
from the sensors over serial.

I'm planning to have the BBB connected to the Mega over serial to collect
the data, store it in a database, and notify me via push messages should
something go out of the ordinary.

However, I'm concerned about blowing up the BBB, since there are a lot of
caveats about making sure that things are sequenced properly and that no
power is applied to the BBB inputs before it's ready.

I know that the Arduino outputs 5v signals, and the BBB can only handle
3v3, so to address that, I've built a logic converter board based off of
some ZVNL120A mosfets, following Phillips' App Note AN97055.

My big question is - what's the best way to prevent damage to the BBB?
Should I add some extra mosfets inline with the rx and tx lines, and
control the operation of the mosfets from the BBB (so that when the BBB is
off, the serial connection to the Arduino is disconnected)? Or is there
some other way that I should handle this?

Thanks much!