As for Development environment ? Make your own using Roberts "from scratch
instructions ?

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black

Using these instructions I've got a freshly built custom kernel, and a file
system that is ~137MB in size. It will definitely grow, but it wont be
anywhere near 1Gb let alone 2.