Charles,

Thanks for your response.

I read the section you mentioned from the I2C standard and it seems that,
for this to work properly, there has to be pull-up resistors on both sides
of the FET, which doesn't solve my problem. Maybe I didn't understand
something, but if I don't pull-up the I2C pins of the BBB, the lines will
never go high, because the FET will be in its off state.

I want to avoid pulling the I/O pins high before the BBB is fully powered
on.