On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Leonardo Gabrielli <leoda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello group,
> a rather newbie-ish question. I created my own customized Debian Wheezy
> system for a Beagleboard xM from armhf builds at rcn-ee.net (specifically:
> debian-7.4-console-armhf).
>
> Now I am happy with all the tweaks I've done so far in the last months but
> I'd like to upgrade the kernel to a 3.14 release, in order to make use of
> the new SCHED_DEADLINE.
>
> There are no backports of linux 3.14 for Wheezy but there are Jessie
> packages for linux-headers-3.14-1-all linux-headers-3.14-1-common
> linux-headers-3.14-1-all-armhf etc.
> What's the best option to upgrade the kernel? Tweeak /etc/apt/sources.list
> to add Jessie repos or trying compile it natively (I'm too lazy for setting
> up a cross-compile chain).

I don't think Jessie's 3.14-1 will boot the xm..

or just use this branch:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/armv7-multiplatform/tree/v3.14.x

with your config tweak and really easy to copy the kernel files:

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard#BeagleBoard-CopyKernelFiles

> Also, once I've got them compiled, I guess I should modify the BOOT
> partition of my uSD card to point to the proper image? An outline of the
> steps would be immensely appreciated!

Pretty straight forward:

zImage/vmlinux -> /boot/uboot/zImage
dtbs -> /boot/uboot/dtbs